The Political Action Committee of The Business Council of New York State, Inc. has endorsed Governor Andrew M. Cuomo’s re-election, John Cahill’s bid for New York State Attorney General and the re-election of several members of the New York State Senate and State Assembly.
Cuomo best choice
“Looking at the state’s next set of challenges, and what we were able to accomplish over the past four years, The Business Council believes that Governor Cuomo is the best choice to lead the effort,” said Heather C. Briccetti, Esq., president and CEO of The Business Council. “The Business Council and its members have a good working relationship with the Governor and his administration.
The Business Council cited the following accomplishments of the Cuomo administration:
• Spending control through four consecutive low-growth budgets,
• Discipline on the spending side of the budget allowed for a $600 million per year business tax reform package that supports key components of the state’s economy, upstate and downstate,
• Major estate tax reform, which will eliminate the death tax as a factor for many small business owners and retirees looking to remain in New York,
• A real property tax cap that has been effective in limiting costs at the local level,
• A significant new, statewide economic development power program, RechargeNY, with nearly 700 business participants and more than 350,000 jobs,
• Education reforms including adoption of Common Core standards, and initiatives such as P-TECH schools that will help match skills development with real world job demands,
• Cost-savings reforms in the state’s unemployment insurance system, a program that touches every employer in the state, among others.
John Cahill for Attorney General
“The office of Attorney General, through the Department of Law, has enforcement, regulatory and policy-making functions that can have significant impact on individual businesses and on industry sectors. Therefore, this election matters to business, and we are pleased to be making our first ever endorsement for the office of Attorney General,” said Briccetti.
In making the endorsement, The Business Council cited Cahill’s past record, and the issues he has highlighted in his campaign, including moving forward with natural gas exploration, scaffold law and tort reform, and reasonable state-level oversight of the state’s crucial financial services industry.
State Legislative endorsements
The Political Action Committee of The Business Council of New York State has endorsed 29 members of the State Assembly and 27 members of the State Senate. The endorsements are based largely on how these incumbent lawmakers ranked on The Business Council’s Legislative Scorecard of priority issues for the 2013 and 2014 legislative sessions. Additional endorsements of challengers and for open seats will be released shortly.
Please click here for a full list of Senate and Assembly endorsements.